Upper Falls, Genesee River, Rochester NY

High Falls front.jpg
High Falls back.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Upper Falls, Genesee River, Rochester NY

Description

At nearly 100 feet in height, the "High Falls" were a determining factor in the location of Rochester. Mills took advantage of the drop and the Genesee River's water flow in the form of mills, beginning in 1807 and especially in the years following construction of Brown's Race--which enabled numerous mills to operate along the western banks. Less than a mile upriver, the Erie Canal was routed so as to pass near this important manufacturing and milling location. At one point Rochester was milling more than 500,000 barrels of wheat flour per year before the wheat midge drastically curtailed production in the Genesee Valley.

In the postcard, at left of the falls is Rochester Gas and Electric's Hydro Station #4 (since abandoned), and crossing the river is a New York Central Railroad viaduct. At right is the Gorsline Building, reconstructed in 1888 as a shoe factory after a major fire that killed perhaps 35 workers. Structural problems nearly led to its demolition, but it was partially demolished and renovated during the late 1990s for use as office space.

Publisher

Rochester News Co.

Date

1934

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy Ken Cooper

Format

jpeg, 608 KB
jpeg, 343 KB

Type

Postcard

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5 in.

Geolocation