Ford Garage, first operated by Watkins and McKurth

1051.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Ford Garage, first operated by Watkins and McKurth

Description

The Ford Garage was owned by Fred Watkins and Frank McKurth. The partners first operated a grocery store at 100 Main St. and secured a Ford dealership there in 1912. The business must have been successful, for the building pictured here at #22-24 Covington Street, was built in 1917. Watkins & McKurth sold it to a group of buyers in 1925, and the agency passed through different owners--the last of them Perry Motor Sales.

In 1940, an innovative plan by the Perry Rotary Club called for purchase and management of the property "to make the hall the recreational center of Perry youth, giving them clean and wholesome atmosphere under capable supervision" (Perry Herald 6 Nov. 1940: 1). In December of that year the Perry Bowling Center announced its grand opening, with residents invited to "inspect the modern appointments of Western New York's newest recreation hall" (Perry Herald 18 Dec. 1940: 2). It remains in operation today.

Publisher

Perry, NY Public Library

Contributor

Michalak, Benjamin

Source

Clark Rice Photography Collection

Format

.jpeg, 1.3 MB

Type

Still image

Identifier

1051

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

10 x 8 in.

Geolocation