Browse Items (6 total)

  • Tags: Retsof, NY

Shanties built ca. 1884 for Italian immigrant employees of Retsof Mine. It was demolished in 1923 because the houses had become dilapidated and a new, larger mine was under construction.

St. Lucy.jpg
The Roman Catholic Church attended by residents of Little Italy

Retsof Company Picnic.png
A photo of the attendees of the Retsof company picnic on Conesus Lake in 1933

Undated photo depicts horse-drawn carts used in early Livingston County salt mining operations

Detail from "New Century Atlas" shows Retsof Mine and related infrastructure, along with area schools, farms, and churches. Just to the northwest of mine is an area of (segregated) housing built for employees that was known as "Little Italy."

Detail from "Map of Central New York, Showing Outcrop of the Salina Formation and Locations Where Salt or Brine Has Been Found in Wells or Shafts." Full map is attached as separate file.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2