Browse Items (39 total)
- Collection: Caledonia 1892
Sort by:
Planing Mill, Lumber & Coal, W.J. Williams, Prop.
Number 46 on the Burleigh map, this longstanding establishment dates from 1864 (when Williams went into business with Thomas G. Edgar) on through his sole proprietorship beginning in 1879 to his eventual sale of the firm in 1902 to DeLancey A.…
Tags: Burleigh Litho Co; Caledonia, NY; Coal; Mill; W.J. Williams
John Ball & Co., Produce Elevator
Number 45 on the Burleigh map, the firm alongside the Erie Railroad dates to 1892 when John Ball (1855-1936) formed a partnership with his younger brother Thomas--who had been a principal in the firm of Ball & Donahue. Eventually their facility came…
New York Central Railroad Station, Caledonia
Number 8 on the Burleigh map, depot originally was located next to William Hamilton's produce business on the east side of North St. Constructed in ca. 1853 along with the Canandaigua & Niagara Falls Railroad, the line was purchased in 1858 by…
Geo. Davis, Billiard Hall
Number 42 on the Burleigh map, it's not clear whether Davis (1860-1947) ever was successful in starting up his billiard hall--and the attendant liquor license likely for its operation. It's more certain that, by May 1894, he and Charles Bundy had…
Lehigh Valley Rail Road Station, Caledonia
Number 7 on the Burleigh map, an original modest structure served the needs of a railroad built primarily to deliver coal from the Pennsylvania anthracite fields, east to New York and west to Buffalo on the Great Lakes. Amidst ferocious competition,…
Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburgh Railway station, Mumford
Number 6 on the Burleigh map, the BR &P was one of four rail lines passing through the area and like the Lehigh Valley RR constructed primarily for the shipment of Pennsylvania coal--in this case, the major markets being industrial Rochester and…
Caledonia School No. 5
Number 5 on the Burleigh map, records for this school prior to 1892 are missing due to a major fire on Main Street that year. The structure shown by Burleigh received a west wing in 1896 and a north wing in 1904. In 1914, a new brick structure…
Tags: Burleigh Litho Co; Caledonia, NY; school
Cross Botonee
This resonant symbol appears near the end of a 1904 history of the Western New York Diocese of the Protestant Episcopal Church. It was fairly common in the Anglican church and its Episcopal branches in the United States, one of them St. Andrew's…
Auspice Maria
"Under the Protection of Mary" is the usual translation for this emblem blessing the Catholic Church's approved ceremonial book. First published in 1829, it was by 1894 in its 8th edition and used in churches like St. Columba in Caledonia, NY.…