Walker & Wilkinson, General Hardware
Number 34 on the Burleigh map, longstanding store advertised itself as "Again doing business at their old stand" in April 1892--after the February 1891 Caledonia fire. Run by William H. Walker and Ara Wilkinson, their partnership dated to at least 1888; the store promoted itself as a bastion of civility in an increasingly cash-only environment, still settling accounts every October 1 and April 1. The fire seems to have presented insurmountable challenges for, although they were back in business just a month later (in a temporary location on State St.), their partnership was dissolved in 1894. Wilkinson sold out his share to Matteson, who continued the business with Walker. The reason? Professor Wilkinson also was principal at the Caledonia school and was stretched thin.
Courtesy of Tom Tryniski / Fulton History
jpeg, 527 KB
Still Image Item Type Metadata