Outterson & Lee, Meat Market

Outterson & Lee--cropped.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Outterson & Lee, Meat Market

Description

Number 33 on the Burleigh map, by the time of panorama's publication Outterson & Lee's firm had been dissolved, settling all debts in April 1892. In 1878 George Outterson opened "a saloon and restaurant under Grant's meat market"; it's unclear whether he eventually took over that firm, or was starting up a new one with Lee.

Outterson was one of many whose livelihood had been impacted by the 1891 Caledonia fire, so that Burleigh's map was at least partly aspirational, not purely descriptive. After dissolving his old partnership, in April 1892 Outterson applied to the Board of Excise for a saloon permit (the application was denied), then in 1893 he purchased the Caledonia House--also called the old "Stone Hotel"--from Robert Woollett, the hotel's proprietor at the time of Burleigh's map. Outterson died three years later, in 1896.

Publisher

Caledonia Advertiser

Date

Unknown

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy of Tom Tryniski / Fulton History

Format

jpeg, 394 KB

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Newspaper advertisement

Geolocation