The identity of this unusual church isn’t clear. Its design and steeple are characteristic of many found throughout New England; at the top of its steeple is a small “onion dome” turret usually found on Russian or Greek Orthodox churches. Jones may have found this subject matter intriguing, along with what appears to be a very old graveyard in the foreground. Lightly etched environmental details—clouds, trees, bushes—surround the central building like a nimbus.
About the Artist: Born in Manchester, NH, Jones studied painting at the Cowles Art School in Boston under Ernest Major and Joseph de Camp. His early career involved commercial illustration for the publisher Frank A. Munsey, an indication of that style during this period possibly shown in his whimsical illustrations for a children’s book called Monkey Shines (1904). Among the places where Jones’ work was exhibited include the Salmagundi Club (1907, 1917, 1929), the Panama Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco (1915), and the Brooklyn Museum of Art (1930-31). In addition to the etching housed at the NDG, Jones’ other work for the WPA appeared at a rotating exhibition in Patchogue, NY (1936) and a posthumous print exhibition at Keuka College, Penn Yan, NY (1941). From about 1933 to 1940, he taught art at the Stony Brook School for Boys, a Christian co-ed college preparatory school. 12 works at The Athenaeum. 1 work at the Birmingham Museum of Art. 1 more image at FAP.