Browse Items (48 total)

  • Tags: Genesee River

Tea Table 4.jpg
A pair of optical viewer look upstream at this viewpoint in Letchworth State Park. Until 1950 a distinctive rock formation gave this location its name.

High_Falls_of_Genesee_-_Rochester_NY_-_Browns_Race_Historical_District.jpg
Original description reads "High Falls, The Crown Jewel of Brown's Race Historical District, Rochester, NY." Beginning in the 1990s the City of Rochester attempted to redevelop the former manufacturing area as a mixed housing and tourism district,…

Upper Genesee Falls@0.5x.jpg
Photograph from a now-defunct news service company shows the High Falls area of Genesee River. At right we see the Gorsline Building that housed three main manufacturing operations at this time: Williams, Hoyt & Co. (a maker of shoes); the Rochester…

memoiruponlatewa02pouc_0221@0.5x.jpg
This is one of the earliest known images of waterfalls in the vicinity of present-day Rochester, NY. Davies, a British Army officer, had trained to provide drawings for military. The drawing here was one of a series produced during the French and…

High Falls.jpg
Somewhat idealized view of Rochester's High Falls has cattle grazing peacefully in the foreground of this print. The "Mercury" statue at rear center, however, dates the scene after 1881--which is when the Kimball Tobacco Factory commissioned it. By…

Genesee River@3x.jpg
Wide-angle panorama of looks west where the Erie Canal crosses the aqueduct at present-day Broad Street. Its course points toward the tower of Rochester's city hall. Directly across the Genesee we see factory of Cluett Peabody & Co., manufacturer of…

Lakeville Mill front.jpg
Postcard shows view of a decrepit water wheel, almost certainly located at the outlet of Conesus Lake where it becomes Conesus Creek. If so, then the photograph shows remnants of what had been a broom-handle factory operated by L.P. West, then…

Genesee Falls front.jpg
Postcard view of waterfall in the town that is seat of government in Allegany County. Originally named Philipsville, its population grew rapidly following construction of an Erie Railroad line--pictured at left--in 1850. As of 1860 there were two…

Geneseo Bridge front.jpg
At the time of this photograph wooden structure was at least 70 years old, having been constructed in 1830 by a Mt. Morris contractor named Russell Daboll. Its design was somewhat unusual in that wood was used even for the abutments upon which the…

Windsor Ferry front.jpg
Operating a ship named the "Windsor," the Charlotte and Summerville Ferry Company ran a service between those two towns located at the mouth of the Genesee River beginning at least in 1877. Passenger use climbed with trolley lines running along both…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2