Lower Falls of the Genesee, Rochester NY

Lower Falls 2 front.jpg
Lower Falls 2 back.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Lower Falls of the Genesee, Rochester NY

Description

Five miles downstream from here, the Genesee River empties into Lake Ontario at Charlotte, and the base of the falls has been a major spawning ground for salmon and lake trout until non-native fish like the alewife reduced their numbers. The fisherman Seth Green ran a large commercial operation nearby in the lower gorge; ironically, his success also contributed to declining stocks and led to his experiments in pisciculture and eventually a fish hatchery located in Caledonia, NY.

At the time of this photograph, an extensive engineering project recently had constructed Rochester Gas & Electric's Hydro Station #15--a portion of which is shown at left--and transformed the falls themselves. An 80-foot long concrete facing raised the falls to a height of 96 feet and created an intake dam 17 feet in depth. The building at right is a remaining part of the settlement called McCrackenville, chartered in 1821 and best known as an industrial site: flour and paper milling, carpet-making, furniture manufacture, a tannery. In 1850 the city of Rochester annexed the land as part of its plans for residential development along Lake Avenue; eventually it was remade as Lower Falls Park, from which visitors have a spectacular view of the gorge.

Publisher

Scrantom Wetmore & Co., Publishers

Date

1905-1910

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy of Ken Cooper

Format

jpeg, 663 KB
jpeg, 331 KB

Type

Postcard

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5