Five Arch Bridge, Avon NY

Five Arch front.jpg
Five Arch back.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Five Arch Bridge, Avon NY

Description

200-foot stone viaduct was constructed by the Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad sometime around 1856-57, crossing the outlet of Conesus Lake not far from where that creek joins the Genesee River. By 1859 the planned rail line between Mt. Morris and Rochester had been completed, but it struggled financially and eventually was leased to the Erie Railroad beginning in 1873.

The viaduct's use of wooden timbers, visible in this photograph, led to ongoing structural concerns and perhaps accounts for the rail line's conversion to a small electric commuter route, which operated 13 runs daily between Mt. Morris and Rochester starting in 1907 and lasting into the late 1930s. The tracks were torn up in 1940 due to declining ridership in the age of automobiles, but the Five Arch Bridge has had an afterlife as a symbol of Avon history.

Publisher

Rochester News Company

Date

1910-1920?

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy Ken Cooper

Format

jpeg, 771 KB
jpeg, 310 KB

Type

Postcard

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5 in