Soldiers Monument and East Avenue, Caledonia NY

Caledonia House--front.jpg
Caledonia House--reverse.jpg
Caledonia House--cropped.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Soldiers Monument and East Avenue, Caledonia NY

Description

Postcard shows the junction of East and State Streets, including what the writer calls "Our much talked of monument." At this time the Soldiers Monument, dedicated in 1900 by then-governor Theodore Roosevelt, would have been seven years old and an important landmark for the village. Also in the frame is the Caledonia House, built 1831-33, which had been a tavern during the era of stage coaches and gradually had fallen into disuse. The next year it was purchased by the Eunice Lodge 830 of Free and Accepted Masons.

The document's reverse side gives the name of Chas. S. Perhamus, who was a Caledonia pharmacist and the likely publisher of the postcard.

Publisher

Perhamus, Chas. S.

Date

1907

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Format

1. jpeg, 592 KB
2. jpeg, 467 KB
3. jpeg, 515 KB

Type

Postcare

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5 in.