McKay Bros' Grist Mill

McKay Bros 1894--cropped.jpg
McKay Bros 1902--cropped.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

McKay Bros' Grist Mill

Description

Number 14 on the Burleigh map, mill site is one of the older landmarks in Caledonia. It was built in 1801 by Col. Charles Williamson, who was agent for Lord William Pultney concerning a massive tract of land--sold to Scottish immigrants on favorable terms. Williamson sold the mill to John McKay ca. 1803, and it passed along to his son John Jr. and then to grandsons who installed modern rolling equipment in 1886. As of 1892, its capacity was some 48 barrels of wheat flour per day, along with many tons of animal feed.

These two advertisements date to a period when brand names of flour blends had long since become important to the milling industry.

Date

1894-11-22
1902-10-22

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Caledonia Advertiser 22 Nov. 1894
Caledonia Era 22 Oct. 1902

Courtesy of Tom Tryniski / Fulton History.

Format

jpeg, 316 KB
jpeg, 483 KB

Type

Newspaper advertisements

Geolocation