"Under the Protection of Mary" is the usual translation for this emblem blessing the Catholic Church's approved ceremonial book. First published in 1829, it was by 1894 in its 8th edition and used in churches like St. Columba in Caledonia, NY. Ecclesiastical heraldry shows the book's approval to have been made by a bishop: the "galero" hat at top, and the ten tassels underneath on each side.
John B. Piet & Co.
Joseph Rosati, "Ceremonial for the Use of the Catholic Churches in the United States of America," 8th ed. (Philadelphia: H. L. Kilner & Co., 1894): iii.
Still Image Item Type Metadata