Livingston Inn, Conesus Lake, NY

Livingston Inn front.jpg
Livingston Inn back.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Livingston Inn, Conesus Lake, NY

Description

Pictured at McPherson's Point on the east side of Conesus Lake, this building had a strange history. It was constructed as the "Avon Cure" in 1866, during the heyday of mineral springs resorts in that village, by Charles Whalley. It could host more than a hundred guests, who enjoyed mineral baths sourced from two springs on the hotel property. In 1904, the structure was purchased by Walter Strowger and dismantled for the purpose of relocation to Conesus Lake. The lumber was transported by rail, and from there across the water on ice sleds. The over-extended Strowger opened the Livingston Inn for business in 1905, went bankrupt after a season, and sold to a consortium of Rochester investors.

The expanded three-story building had spacious, wrap-around porches and a variety of amusements on site: a dance pavilion, picnic grounds, and a baseball field. For a time, the Walter E. Johnson School of Aviation ran its hydroplane flight instruction school out of the inn. At left several boats are pictured, including a steamer that ferried guests across Conesus Lake and to points north and south. In 1916 the consortium sold the inn to Miles Woodruff, whose family oversaw operations until 1961; the well-traveled building was sold and demolished for redevelopment.

Publisher

Rochester News Company

Date

1906-11-27

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy of Ken Cooper

Format

jpeg, 650 KB
jpeg, 443 KB

Type

Postcard

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5 in.

Geolocation