The Ferry, Charlotte NY

Windsor Ferry front.jpg
Windsor Ferry back.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

The Ferry, Charlotte NY

Description

Operating a ship named the "Windsor," the Charlotte and Summerville Ferry Company ran a service between those two towns located at the mouth of the Genesee River beginning at least in 1877. Passenger use climbed with trolley lines running along both sides of the river by century's end and a developing tourism scene lakeside.

The "Windsor" shown here was built in 1894 and powered by a steam engine pulling it back and forth across the 500-foot river's mouth attached to a chain line. A trip lasted about seven minutes. The ship carried vehicles and had 200 life preservers on board. Due to increasing use of the Stutson Street bridge upriver, the "Windsor" ferry finally was shut down in 1927.

Source consulted: Leon R. Brown, Transportation News 5.1 (Aug. 1927): 24-25, via New York Museum of Transportation, Headend (Spring 2004).

Publisher

Rochester News Company

Date

1907-01-14

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy of Ken Cooper

Format

jpeg, 664 KB
jpeg, 363 KB

Type

Postcard

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5 in.

Geolocation