Browse Items (27 total)

  • Tags: Post Card

Hatchery 1909--front.jpg
Postcard shows the nationally recognized operation created by Seth Green in 1864 and eventually taken over as a state operation in 1875. Despite this source of funding, the hatchery still depended upon publicity--thus the sizable text both on its…

Letchworth Cover.jpg
Mini-postcard album features ten views of the local attraction: Middle Falls, Mt. Morris Dam, Letchworth State Park Museum, Upper Falls, Glen Iris Inn, Statue of Mary Jemison, Inspiration Point, the "Scenic Gorge of the Genesee River," Lower Falls,…

Avon Inn front.jpg
The historic landmark in Avon, NY was built ca. 1840 as a private residence and later became a sought-after destination during the village's days as a spa resort. Damaged by a fire in 1979, it was restored and has remained in business.

This linen…

Geneseo Main front.jpg
The distinctive "Sky Tint" blue of this postcard probably dates it to the 1920s, and in confirmation we see both horse-drawn wagons and automobiles on Geneseo's (as-yet unpaved) Main Street. At left is the sign of Frazer, Green & Leadinham's hardware…

1.jpg
Unofficially known as the "Oh My God" Road, this winding route was created to service silver mines, some of which are visible in the postcard view. It's of interest because this location probably was the basis for New Deal Gallery artist Philip…

Walker House front.jpg
Postcard shows guests taking in the scenery at a popular hotel located next to the Silver Lake Railroad. Actually, it was the second Walker House, the first having burned down in 1857. That earlier hotel was operated by Artemus B. Walker, whose…

Main Street--front.jpg
At the time of this photograph the buildings and trees shown on Main Street were little more ten years old, rebuilt in 1892 after a devastating fire. In addition to the Soldiers Monument (dedicated in 1900), the Hotel Kreisler figures…

Caledonia School--medium.jpg
Postmarked 1910, the former Caledonia School had been integrated into New York's Union Free School district since 1895, and designated as the town's high school since 1898. In 1914, the older structure would be rebuilt in brick and serve its function…

Charlotte Amusement front.jpg
Postcard from a birds-eye view shows the lakeside amusement park near the height of its popularity. The green-roofed building near center likely is the Hotel Ontario, a connection between the area's past as a resort during the 1870s-80s, and its…

Charlotte Beach front.jpg
Postcard depicts Lake Ontario Shore looking east toward the mouth of the Genesee River. At left is a sailboat moored at the West Pier; the red-roofed building at upper center may be a resort hotel called the Spencer House. Along the boardwalk and…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2