Browse Items (16 total)

  • Tags: Avon, NY

Glen Avon Mill 1912 corrected.jpg
Ca. 1912 photograph of the flour mill on Conesus Creek in Littleville, NY built by Emme Light in 1878 and subsequently operated by his sons John and William. Glen Avon Mills sold several trademarked varieties of flour, including “Peerless,” “Sweet…

FlourMill1.jpg
Two views of a Wadsworth grist mill located on Conesus Creek in the southern part of the town of Avon, N.Y. It was one of several mills in the area owned by the Wadsworth family of Geneseo, N.Y., beginning in the late eighteenth century.

G.D. Dooer Letterhead.jpg
This butcher in Avon, NY did business with the Wadsworth family in the later 19th century

East-Avon.jpg
In this detail from an 1872 map, we can see that the processing of meats took place literally next door to a school

Ashantee Detail 1902.jpeg
This detail from a 1902 maps shows the Littleville area on Conesus Creek, near the village of Avon NY

Avon Creeks Map Color.jpg
Beginning in the late 18th century, Conesus Creek and other waterways near Avon provided mechanical power for a variety of milling functions

Agnes Flood--Avon.jpeg
Map of areas impacted by the June 1972 Hurricane

Avon-Geneseo-Flood-Composite.jpg
Composite image created from two U.S. Army Engineer maps of 1972 hurricane

Dooer's-Market.jpg
George Dooer opened this meat market when he was 19; first bought some farmland and went from having nothing to having one of the longest running businesses. He was the president of the town, supervisor, and county sherriff. His meat market was…

Avon-Free-Library.jpg
Avon Free Library was used to house students after the school fire in 1961. Four kindergarten classes were taught there for two years.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2