Browse Items (16 total)

  • Tags: Avon, NY

Ashantee Detail 1902.jpeg
This detail from a 1902 maps shows the Littleville area on Conesus Creek, near the village of Avon NY

Avon-Free-Library.jpg
Avon Free Library was used to house students after the school fire in 1961. Four kindergarten classes were taught there for two years.

Feeley Tape 2 - 4_6_16, 12.39 PM.mp3
This is a collection of several clips from tapes that were recorded in the Avon Historical Society

Coleman Side B 1.mp3
Various clips discussing the hard times in Avon, NY including problems with the school district, victory gardens and living through the Great Depression.

Dooer's-Market.jpg
George Dooer opened this meat market when he was 19; first bought some farmland and went from having nothing to having one of the longest running businesses. He was the president of the town, supervisor, and county sherriff. His meat market was…

Five Arch front.jpg
200-foot stone viaduct was constructed by the Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad sometime around 1856-57, crossing the outlet of Conesus Lake not far from where that creek joins the Genesee River. By 1859 the planned rail line between Mt. Morris…

G.D. Dooer Letterhead.jpg
This butcher in Avon, NY did business with the Wadsworth family in the later 19th century

East-Avon.jpg
In this detail from an 1872 map, we can see that the processing of meats took place literally next door to a school

Glen Avon Mill 1912 corrected.jpg
Ca. 1912 photograph of the flour mill on Conesus Creek in Littleville, NY built by Emme Light in 1878 and subsequently operated by his sons John and William. Glen Avon Mills sold several trademarked varieties of flour, including “Peerless,” “Sweet…

Avon Creeks Map Color.jpg
Beginning in the late 18th century, Conesus Creek and other waterways near Avon provided mechanical power for a variety of milling functions. This map shows the approximate locations of nine known mills in that area.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2