Light's Mill, Avon NY

Light's Mill@2x.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Light's Mill, Avon NY

Description

Real-photo postcard shows a mill site alongside Conesus Creek where Emme Light rebuilt after a fire had destroyed an earlier one named "Glen Avon." He retained that name, and became well known for his trademarked varieties of flour: Peerless, Sweet Violet, Daisy, and White Rose. Sometime the operation was called "Light's Mill," as on this image.

Ownership of the mill passed to sons John and William, then to his granddaughter Lucy (Light) McDonald who in 1949 leased it to a Dutch miller named George A. Bass. In 1951, the town of Avon purchased the mill for its more valuable Conesus Lake water rights, then sold the property back to Bass. Glen Avon ceased operations sometime around the late 1950s. The structure remains standing today as a private home.

Creator

Anderson

Date

Unknown

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Format

jpeg, 930 KB

Type

Still image

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5 in.

Geolocation