Public Market, Rochester NY

Rochester Market front.jpg
Rochester Market back.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Public Market, Rochester NY

Description

At the time of this photograph in the early 1900s, Rochester's public market had been in operation for more than seventy years. Initially located on Main Street just west of the Genesee River, it opened in 1827 and then moved to its current location on Union Street in 1905. Thus, the postcard depicts a modern facility supplied by farmers who have traveled via horse and wagon. It wasn't until 1913 that the City of Rochester allowed farmers to sell directly to the public, so this scene is best appreciated as a brokers' market.

In the years since, it has remained viable despite the emergence of huge (suburban) grocery chains that doomed public markets in other cities. Today, an estimated 2.4 million people visit the market annually, perhaps 40,000 on a busy Saturday. It remains one of the most economically and culturally diverse locations in the Rochester metropolitan area, and recently has undergone renovations such that a new outdoor shed closely resembles the one pictured on this postcard.

Date

1909-12-03

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy of Ken Cooper

Format

jpeg, 552 KB
jpeg, 469 KB

Type

Postcard

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5 in