O-Ka-lee Farm, Belcoda NY

O-Ka-lee-1.jpg
O-Ka-lee-2.jpg
Okalee 1.jpg
Okalee 2.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

O-Ka-lee Farm, Belcoda NY

Description

Its name dating back at least to 1917, this 477-acre farm was operated by Eugene Elisha Harmon and his descendants. Origins of the name are unclear: perhaps it derives from the Seminole word meaning "village" or "home"; perhaps the popular representation of a red-winged blackbird's song. It is located at the western end of Harmon Road in the town of Belcoda, (now generally known as Wheatland). Harmon maintained a flock of sheep and herd of dairy cows; crops were primarily wheat, beans, and hay. Ownership of the farm passed to Eugene's son John Elisha upon the father's death in 1919, and then in 1974 to John's daughter Nancy.

Four contemporary digital photos have been converted to b/w. The first three depict O-Ka-lee's unusual Wells Patent barn, designed and constructed by a local firm that built over 200 others in Western New York. The fourth shows a stone hitching post still standing alongside the road in front of the home.

Creator

Cooper, Ken

Date

2016-04-10

Contributor

Cooper, Ken

Source

Courtesy Ken Cooper

Format

jpeg, 481 KB
jpeg, 443 KB
jpeg, 722 KB
jpeg, 529 KB

Type

Digital photographs

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital photograph

Geolocation