Browse Items (30 total)

  • Tags: Letchworth State Park

Middle-Falls.jpg
From a series titled "View on the Line of Erie Railway," this early photograph of Middle Falls shows the environmental effects of a sawmill located there. After purchasing this tract of land in 1859, William Pryor Letchworth began a long program of…

Letch-Cemetery.jpg
Small plot comprised early settlers' graves, some of which originally were located on the south lawn of the Glen Iris Inn and relocated by William Pryor Letchworth.

Trees--medium.jpg
Following a tradition of memorial trees planted by William Pryor Letchworth, a planting program began in 1912. The four photos here are from blocks 1, 17, 18, and 42--all located near Inspiration Point.

Letch-School.jpg
Replica of a structure built in 1874 by William Pryor Letchworth, who also supplied students with books and a melodeon. The school was used for 60 years, then torn down in 1947 before this replica was built forty years later.

VoicesGlen_0053.jpg
Illustration of the Middle Falls accompanies the poem "Mona-Sha-Sha," by William H.C. Hosmer

Lower Falls.jpg
Artist's sketch to accompany Mrs. E. M. Omsted's poem "The Lower Falls of the Upper Genesee at Midnight" in a collection entitled "Voices of the Glen"

Voices of the Glen.jpg
Illustration to a collection of poems written by visitors to William Pryor Letchworth's "Glen Iris" estate on the Geneseee River. Its composition suggests that the voice of nature itself--for example, the creek pictured--is being channeled via…

LE.2012.93  Feb 20 1908 to WPL from C.M. Dow - front.jpg
This letter, written by Dow to Letchworth, describes the initial reaction Dow and others had to a proposed reforestation project in partnership with Letchworth. Dow discusses his efforts to get in touch with people to begin making the project a…

Letchworth-Arboretum-2.jpg
Continuing the reforestation efforts of William Pryor Letchworth after his death, an arboretum was established in 1912 that planted trees in blocks of individual species.

In the late 1920s, two maps were surveyed and executed by the Garden Club of…

Letchworth-Arboretum-1.jpg
Continuing the reforestation efforts of William Pryor Letchworth after his death, an arboretum was established in 1912 that planted trees in blocks of individual species.

In the late 1920s, two maps were surveyed and executed by the Garden Club…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2