Browse Items (38 total)

  • Tags: Burleigh Litho Co

Shortsville--medium.jpg
Named after the miller Theophilus Short, this small village of perhaps 800 seems to have been using this map in an aspirational way: by visualizing itself as a place to which more businesses and people would locate. The main appeal was its situation…

LeRoy--medium.jpg
Looking roughly to the east, bird's eye view shows Oatka Creek winding through town of 5,000 as of 1890--the second largest in Genesee County after Batavia. First settled in 1793, Le Roy was created in 1812 from a portion of the Caledonia land…

Geneva--small.jpeg
At the time of this bird's eye view, the city of Geneva was one of the most important population centers in the Finger Lakes--as indicated by the 99 different points listed on Lucien R. Burleigh's map. The Seneca village of Kanadaseaga at the…

Fairport--medium.jpg
Western New York village located on the Erie Canal still shows the commercial importance of that waterway via several businesses located alongside: a planing mill, grist mill, canning factory, and a baking powder manufacturer. Two railroad lines…

School No 5.jpg
Number 5 on the Burleigh map, records for this school prior to 1892 are missing due to a major fire on Main Street that year. The structure shown by Burleigh received a west wing in 1896 and a north wing in 1904. In 1914, a new brick structure…

BR&P--1892.jpg
Number 6 on the Burleigh map, the BR &P was one of four rail lines passing through the area and like the Lehigh Valley RR constructed primarily for the shipment of Pennsylvania coal--in this case, the major markets being industrial Rochester and…

LVRR 1911.jpg
Number 7 on the Burleigh map, an original modest structure served the needs of a railroad built primarily to deliver coal from the Pennsylvania anthracite fields, east to New York and west to Buffalo on the Great Lakes. Amidst ferocious competition,…

Hatchery 1909--front.jpg
Postcard shows the nationally recognized operation created by Seth Green in 1864 and eventually taken over as a state operation in 1875. Despite this source of funding, the hatchery still depended upon publicity--thus the sizable text both on its…

New York Central 1896.jpg
Number 8 on the Burleigh map, depot originally was located next to William Hamilton's produce business on the east side of North St. Constructed in ca. 1853 along with the Canandaigua & Niagara Falls Railroad, the line was purchased in 1858 by…

John Ball.jpg
Number 45 on the Burleigh map, the firm alongside the Erie Railroad dates to 1892 when John Ball (1855-1936) formed a partnership with his younger brother Thomas--who had been a principal in the firm of Ball & Donahue. Eventually their facility came…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2